Oil and Filter Change - Page 5

1. Welcome to Scion IQ Forum : Scion iQ Prices, Tech, MPG and Forums – General discussion forum for Scion IQ

Welcome to Scion IQ Forum : Scion iQ Prices, Tech, MPG and Forums - a website dedicated to all things Scion IQ.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Scion IQ Forum : Scion iQ Prices, Tech, MPG and Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Oil and Filter Change

See the 2nd photo on this post. The metal "ball" in the center is shaped like a Sorry Game piece. It keeps the oil from coming out:

https://www.iq-forums.com/forums/how...html#post49361

2. Remove Advertisements
    IQ-Forums.com
    Advertisements

This week I went and bought a whole new oil filter housing and the plug for our iQ. Someone had torqued the plug into the housing so tight I couldn't separate them, even with an impact wrench. I currently to have to take the whole housing off to change the filter, but it isn't any more messy than twisting off a conventional oil filter. Next oil change, I'll put the new filter on and torque the housing and plug to the proper values. I also added a Fumoto drain valve to make the whole process a little less messy.

that's exactly my thought. less work without removing the drain plug first.

you should have just kept the old filter housing.

Thank you both....

Quote Originally Posted by BigBlue871 View Post
    This week I went and bought a whole new oil filter housing and the plug for our iQ. Someone had torqued the plug into the housing so tight I couldn't separate them, even with an impact wrench. I currently to have to take the whole housing off to change the filter, but it isn't any more messy than twisting off a conventional oil filter. Next oil change, I'll put the new filter on and torque the housing and plug to the proper values. I also added a Fumoto drain valve to make the whole process a little less messy.
    Quote Originally Posted by jzchen View Post
    See the 2nd photo on this post. The metal "ball" in the center is shaped like a Sorry Game piece. It keeps the oil from coming out:

https://www.iq-forums.com/forums/how...html#post49361

5. Remove Advertisements
    IQ-Forums.com
    Advertisements

Good to know, a bit more to this oil change than my other Toyota. Need to get the special wrench and possibly ramps

Just ordered my OEM filter, got a wrench off Amazon. Will report how that works out.

I've always changed the oil in my cars for years, now. Last weekend, I was in the garage changing out the oil in my Tundra and, man, the Toyota mechanic must've used the impact wrench when he put the oil filter canister back...super hard to get that to come loose for me. But I finally got it and then I must've bumped the inside, middle tube in there because it all came apart so I wasted about an hour researching how the tube, spring, and washer fit together.....but now I know!!! I understand why that's a better design over past filters but, geesh, sure does add time to doing an oil change.
    Rick "Boo"
    Monument, Colorado

2013 Scion iQ (commuter car)
    2017 Toyota Prius 2 (wife's car)
    2013 Forest River Rockwood RV (33-foot camper trailer)
    2014 Toyota Tundra 4x4 TRD Off-Road (for snow/ice, hauling stuff, and pulls camper)

probably should have just kept using the old type of canister oil filters.

Quote Originally Posted by Engineer_Boo View Post
    I've always changed the oil in my cars for years, now. Last weekend, I was in the garage changing out the oil in my Tundra and, man, the Toyota mechanic must've used the impact wrench when he put the oil filter canister back...super hard to get that to come loose for me. But I finally got it and then I must've bumped the inside, middle tube in there because it all came apart so I wasted about an hour researching how the tube, spring, and washer fit together.....but now I know!!! I understand why that's a better design over past filters but, geesh, sure does add time to doing an oil change.

Quote Originally Posted by Engineer_Boo View Post
    I must've bumped the inside, middle tube in there because it all came apart so I wasted about an hour researching how the tube, spring, and washer fit together.....but now I know!!! I understand why that's a better design over past filters but, geesh, sure does add time to doing an oil change.
    Not sure which engine you have, but if it came apart you might need to replace that canister. It’s one whole piece and looks like it shouldn’t fall apart:

https://parts.toyota.com/a/Toyota_20...1430-1502.html

Not sure which engine you have, but if it came apart you might need to replace that canister. It’s one whole piece and looks like it shouldn’t fall apart:

https://parts.toyota.com/a/Toyota_20...1430-1502.html
    I will have to look at my iQ canister but, on the Tundra, the canister has three pieces inside that aren't supposed to come apart but can. There are two tabs on the bottom of the tube that you have to push down flat, then install it with the spring over the round washer-type device, turn it to position the two tabs in the middle of the four retention slots, then you use a flat-head to raise the tabs up which secures it in there. So when you are changing the oil, and push in the plastic drain device, it pushes up on the spring and allow remaining oil to drain from the canister. I'll post the video of a guy who was trading out old Tundra canister with the newer one (which is all metal..I guess some trucks come/came with black plastic canisters in them.)

Rick "Boo"
    Monument, Colorado

2013 Scion iQ (commuter car)
    2017 Toyota Prius 2 (wife's car)
    2013 Forest River Rockwood RV (33-foot camper trailer)
    2014 Toyota Tundra 4x4 TRD Off-Road (for snow/ice, hauling stuff, and pulls camper)

Took the IQ to the shop to change the oil. They said it is not necessary to remove the drain plug on the filter housing first. They just removed the filter housing and replaced the filter element.

Refilled with 3.5 quarts and it is perfect right at the top of the dip stick.

Quote Originally Posted by nis350 View Post
    thanks for the info. I didn't think it was really necessary to remove the drain plug first, it is just an extra step. the IQ oil canister is much like the metal canister type oil filters for other cars. as long as you have a pan below to catch the oil and wipe down the canister before reinstall, it is all good.

did you refill with about 3.5q? the dealer did the oil change on the car previously and over-filled it by 1/4 of a quart.

Thanks nis350. I may just try the 3.5 qts next time as I do not like any overfull situation....

Just changed the oil today. 3 qts 12 oz by my measuring funnel. Maybe 2 - 3 mm from the top of the hashed area on the stick. I am happy and will try to use that amount next time. I found a real tiny bit of sludge at the bottom of the canister to one side of one of the humps that form base of the center shaft hold down. I may have noticed it last time but just ignored it hoping the synthetic oil would dissolve it. It did not. This time I took a tiny eyeglass flat head screwdriver with a blue paper towel and wiped it off as best I could. Hope it won't return next year.

Alright, it's been a year and trying to do oil change. Silly me overtightened the oil fill cap and can't unscrew it! Luckily I didn't drain the oil yet, I can still drive if I need to but darn. Is there any tool to help twist it loose? (Thanks in advance)!

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

False alarm!!!

(Let the engine cool down and cap twisted off without much force)...

you shouldn't torque it more than 100 lbs...

you can use a large channel lock plier and open it all the way. put each jaw on the opposite side of the lip of the cap then use the plier handle to turn the cap.

btw... how many miles did you put on since the last oil change? the manufacture has a 10k miles oci with synthetic oil. I don't drive my IQ much and probably go with 5 to 6k oci.

Alright, it's been a year and trying to do oil change. Silly me overtightened the oil fill cap and can't unscrew it! Luckily I didn't drain the oil yet, I can still drive if I need to but darn. Is there any tool to help twist it loose? (Thanks in advance)!

18. Remove Advertisements
    IQ-Forums.com
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)