Wiper Control Upgrade {Variable/intermittent} - Page 3

1. Welcome to Scion IQ Forum : Scion iQ Prices, Tech, MPG and Forums – General discussion forum for Scion IQ

Welcome to Scion IQ Forum : Scion iQ Prices, Tech, MPG and Forums - a website dedicated to all things Scion IQ.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Scion IQ Forum : Scion iQ Prices, Tech, MPG and Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Wiper Control Upgrade {Variable/intermittent}

Quote Originally Posted by jzchen View Post
    Wow! Thank you!!! Awesome "detective" work!

My son fell ill over the weekend, then now I'm sick, and just received a call that my grandmother is in the hospital. Pardon my absence from this endeavor for a little while...

I did buy an ambient light sensor from Amayama, and a light switch from Conicelli (online), to figure out "AUTO" lighting. (For another thread)...

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
    Everyone is sick here over here as well, lol So I tried swapping signal wire in the rear wiper motor. This worked, but did not change the speed at all, so I dig some more. Apparently, my connector is 4-pin square, while the HI-LO-capabale connector is 1-row 5-pin, so it looks like my motor is a single speed after all. I also looked up used Cygnet motors and they are 5-pin 1-row connectors, so there you go (but why would you need pin #5?). Cygnet's stalk is the one with icons, likely the same one you got. I don't think it has intermittent rear though, most likely it is just the LO mode - I suggest you jump it to HI pin and call it a day. Cygent also lists the rain sensor, if you feel like overachieving!

2. Remove Advertisements
    IQ-Forums.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by maksym View Post
    Everyone is sick here over here as well, lol So I tried swapping signal wire in the rear wiper motor. This worked, but did not change the speed at all, so I dig some more. Apparently, my connector is 4-pin square, while the HI-LO-capabale connector is 1-row 5-pin, so it looks like my motor is a single speed after all. I also looked up used Cygnet motors and they are 5-pin 1-row connectors, so there you go (but why would you need pin #5?). Cygnet's stalk is the one with icons, likely the same one you got. I don't think it has intermittent rear though, most likely it is just the LO mode - I suggest you jump it to HI pin and call it a day. Cygent also lists the rain sensor, if you feel like overachieving!
    Thanks again for the research!

Just got better yesterday, finally. Hope everyone is getting better where you are also. My wife is a health care professional and promotes the flu shot vehemently. Sadly she noted it is maybe at most 40% effective. (Luckily this year's shot did not cause my arm to be sore like a prior year's. I'm prone to fainting when getting shots).....

The "collar" surrounding the steering column is still removed from mine. There's a big blob of grease near the adjustment release handle, and I'm worried dust will collect onto it. The Cygnet stalk has different symbols, vs the text on the iQ's. It also has the indicator that that model came with a rain sensor. Hmmm. Maybe it is time to look into Aston Martin Tech Info! I should swap the used switch onto the Prius v, as the recycler I bought it from provides a cool lifetime warranty!

Wiper upgrade to be continued....

So I got my stalk tonight and was too impatient to wait till the weekend. Conveniently, it is dark outside and raining. Used a flashlight to take the steering wheel cover apart, but with somebody told me the clips you are pushing on through the small holes are a soft nylon. My screwdriver gauged them pretty well.

Anyhow, the new stalk is exactly the same length as the original one - this was one of my criteria, since the one with icons seems a little longer (from pictures anyway). The second criteria is that I can't figure out what the icons mean, so I'd rather have a text. After playing with the pins, I confirmed the bottom row (the one with a normal and a thin pin) of the rear connector is responsible for HI and LO. I've popped the cover and was pleasantly surprised to find a circuit boar, which makes for a very easy jumping of the pins. What's more, the board uses a good old lead-based solder that is easily solderable. Soldered a short wire between the pins, closed it back and confirmed everything works as expected. Also put some dielectric grease over the soldered contacts since the board seems to be covered in schmoo in other places.

Last edited by maksym; 02-13-2020 at 06:48 AM.

5. Remove Advertisements
    IQ-Forums.com
    Advertisements

Bummer your pictures don't show, at least not in Tapatalk.

I did not even have to push in the holes. I think nothing was there to push! I have a feeling it was opened before and something might be missing in there! The cover felt somewhat loose.

I need to practice soldering or I do a terrible job. Not sure what I'm going to do. Maybe try to look for a Cygnet stalk. From pictures seems like only one position/speed for the rear. I found the part number from the scuderia site you shared....

I have the instructions and it notes to tape the tip of the screwdriver if that helps you for next time. I've used masking tape but it doesn't last. I used a plastic panel (blue) pry tool.. Maybe next time I'll try electrical tape on a metal screwdriver...

Quote Originally Posted by jzchen View Post
    Bummer your pictures don't show, at least not in Tapatalk.

I did not even have to push in the holes. I think nothing was there to push! I have a feeling it was opened before and something might be missing in there! The cover felt somewhat loose.

I need to practice soldering or I do a terrible job. Not sure what I'm going to do. Maybe try to look for a Cygnet stalk. From pictures seems like only one position/speed for the rear. I found the part number from the scuderia site you shared....

That's about the easiest soldering job you can do. Everything's large, pretty hard to screw up. About the only way to screw this up is to absolutely overheat the board and lift the trace, which should not happen here since this is a lead solder and melts very easily.

Fixed the pictures!

Quote Originally Posted by maksym View Post
    Fixed the pictures!
    Thanks!

Nice work!!! That switch looks like the one I got.

I'm not proud of it, but I've overheated my fingers once, and definitely fried something as well. (So proud of my neat work I was wondering why it wasn't working)!

I may just leave it like that unless I can run a wire all the way back to the motor AND figure out a way to make it run "LOW".

Definitely eager to start the brake work as I paid a good sum for all the parts. My wife's car is leaking coolant and I want to solve that first. So many things to do....

Just did mine! Thx for the post!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Wiper Control Upgrade {Variable/intermittent}-1599344765024236790255567300309_1599344775709.jpg  

12. Remove Advertisements
    IQ-Forums.com
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)