Not starting after being on for a few seconds..

1. Welcome to Scion IQ Forum : Scion iQ Prices, Tech, MPG and Forums – General discussion forum for Scion IQ

Welcome to Scion IQ Forum : Scion iQ Prices, Tech, MPG and Forums - a website dedicated to all things Scion IQ.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Scion IQ Forum : Scion iQ Prices, Tech, MPG and Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Not starting after being on for a few seconds..

Not starting after being on for a few seconds..

My '12 iQ has had a problem ever since I owned it, and I've noticed it a couple times.. If I start it, and turn it off a few seconds later (like after moving it in the driveway), it won't start back up. It has plenty of battery, but seems like it isn't getting gas. Could this be a fuel pump thing? Otherwise it always starts just fine.. Every time in the past it's had this problem, I've been able to start it by just waiting out the slow bits of hesitation (barely burning, not burning, burning, not burning.. and finally starting after a long push).. but this time I wasn't.. I'm afraid I won't be able to turn it again.. Wondering if anyone has any suggestions? I've owned it for 4 years now and I forgot to tell my housemate who moved it to let it idle for a few minutes <.<

2. Remove Advertisements
    IQ-Forums.com
    Advertisements

I figured it out with help from a mechanic friend. Apparently the engine was flooded, maybe from not having enough time to clear out from the previous start's fuel pump injection, and cumulative starts could even make it worse if the fuel pump priming is pumping more gas into the engine. I tried doing some kind of "clear flood mode", I think it worked the same as other cars, but I couldn't find any documentation on the web for the iQ. You instantiate the mode (for a lot of modern cars) by pressing the gas all the way down with the break all the way down when starting, and cranking for a bit which tells the car not to add any more gas and to just clear out the flood with cranking. After cranking for a few seconds, let the starter rest in ACC (not all the way off so the fuel pump doesn't pump again) for 15 or so seconds. Then start like normal. The flood for me was cleared out for me for the most part.

Quote Originally Posted by fritzfox View Post
    I figured it out with help from a mechanic friend. Apparently the engine was flooded, maybe from not having enough time to clear out from the previous start's fuel pump injection, and cumulative starts could even make it worse if the fuel pump priming is pumping more gas into the engine. I tried doing some kind of "clear flood mode", I think it worked the same as other cars, but I couldn't find any documentation on the web for the iQ. You instantiate the mode (for a lot of modern cars) by pressing the gas all the way down with the break all the way down when starting, and cranking for a bit which tells the car not to add any more gas and to just clear out the flood with cranking. After cranking for a few seconds, let the starter rest in ACC (not all the way off so the fuel pump doesn't pump again) for 15 or so seconds. Then start like normal. The flood for me was cleared out for me for the most part.
    Thanks for sharing. Oddly enough, a few other cars I've heard doing this were old Toyotas. What's the millage on yours? Maybe a good time for new new spark plugs?

5. Remove Advertisements
    IQ-Forums.com
    Advertisements

Are these direct injection? If so then CRC Intake Valve Cleaner might be in order, or walnut shell blasting.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jzchen View Post
    Are these direct injection? If so then CRC Intake Valve Cleaner might be in order, or walnut shell blasting.

Would that affect startup though? Cleaning injectors might help - if the signature is correct, he is probably at altitude, with a low-octane and possibly lower-quality gas.

Quote Originally Posted by maksym View Post
    Would that affect startup though? Cleaning injectors might help - if the signature is correct, he is probably at altitude, with a low-octane and possibly lower-quality gas.
    You know better than me. (I was asking "?").

On the positive side I got the other car stable, so as soon as I figure out how to put the rear up on my available jack stands I may start tearing down for the rear disc brake mod...

Oops, didn't put a question mark! Sorry!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jzchen View Post
    You know better than me. (I was asking "?").

On the positive side I got the other car stable, so as soon as I figure out how to put the rear up on my available jack stands I may start tearing down for the rear disc brake mod...

Nice to hear your rear disc brake setup is still happening. I'm still interested.

11. Remove Advertisements
    IQ-Forums.com
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)