12V Battery, BCI Group 25?

1. Welcome to Scion IQ Forum : Scion iQ Prices, Tech, MPG and Forums – General discussion forum for Scion IQ

Welcome to Scion IQ Forum : Scion iQ Prices, Tech, MPG and Forums - a website dedicated to all things Scion IQ.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Scion IQ Forum : Scion iQ Prices, Tech, MPG and Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 12V Battery, BCI Group 25?

This is a battery application guide I found online:

https://www.toyota.com/toyota-owners...nal%5B1%5D.pdf

It notes that the iQ can use a BCI Group 51, or optionally BCI Group 25. I was wondering if anyone knew if Group 25 is a direct fit, without any modifications necessary to the mounting area?

Thanks!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    IQ-Forums.com
    Advertisements

you can just use the physical measurement of your existing battery and compare that to the new ones. I think there is some flexibility with the battery bracket. The cold cranking power is probably not an issue with such a small motor. Walmart or Costco have pretty good prices.

You need a new battery already? My OEM battery is still good (2014).

Quote Originally Posted by jzchen View Post
    This is a battery application guide I found online:

https://www.toyota.com/toyota-owners...nal%5B1%5D.pdf

It notes that the iQ can use a BCI Group 51, or optionally BCI Group 25. I was wondering if anyone knew if Group 25 is a direct fit, without any modifications necessary to the mounting area?

Thanks!!!

The battery in there does not look like a Toyota brand battery. So far I don’t need one, it hasn’t had a no start yet, but just in case, I’m considering ordering a LiFePO4 battery. They are non-returnable so I want to be sure I get the size correct.

But great idea to measure! That is what I really need to do to make sure it would fit. Thank you.

5. Remove Advertisements
    IQ-Forums.com
    Advertisements

my battery has FB printed on the side and I believed it is original. there is quite a bit of room to fit a bigger size battery.

just ensure the battery fluid is up to the correct level and you probably won't need a new one for awhile. remember to use distilled water.

Quote Originally Posted by jzchen View Post
    The battery in there does not look like a Toyota brand battery. So far I don’t need one, it hasn’t had a no start yet, but just in case, I’m considering ordering a LiFePO4 battery. They are non-returnable so I want to be sure I get the size correct.

But great idea to measure! That is what I really need to do to make sure it would fit. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by nis350 View Post
    my battery has FB printed on the side and I believed it is original. there is quite a bit of room to fit a bigger size battery.

just ensure the battery fluid is up to the correct level and you probably won't need a new one for awhile. remember to use distilled water.
    Thank you nis350! Good advice, as usual!!!!

I just installed a group 51 battery in our 2012, fits perfectly in the factory mount. mine came from Honda! Costco has them as well as Interstate. a Group 51 NOT 51R is what you need for an iQ

Thanks bruce! What’s in mine looks like a 51. The application guide I posted notes a 25, with better specs, as an optional fit. Just not sure, and may be a costly mistake if I get something crazy like a Braille i25x or i25S and it doesn’t fit.

I just installed a Chinese 46B24R LiFePO4 battery I bought from eBay on my parents’ Prius v and it had “feet” for bottom bracket hold down. It barely fit because of this. I am hoping they could make a replacement for 15 - 20 % the cost of a Braille. Original battery was 28.8 lbs, new battery, with backup power and onboard V meter, weighs just 9.4 lbs!

Wrong forum!

Quote Originally Posted by bruce View Post
    I just installed a group 51 battery in our 2012, fits perfectly in the factory mount. mine came from Honda! Costco has them as well as Interstate. a Group 51 NOT 51R is what you need for an iQ
    Funny, I could have used a 51R.
    Based on recommendations, I got a Diehard Gold 51 group, but my 2012 obviously takes a 51R. I did have to modify the bracket in order to fit the 51 group battery, as well as stretch the cables a bit in order to physically fit the battery, but it works fine.

The original battery lasted 7 years.
    Micky

12. Remove Advertisements
    IQ-Forums.com
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)