LED Headlight Upgrade?

1. Welcome to Scion IQ Forum : Scion iQ Prices, Tech, MPG and Forums – General discussion forum for Scion IQ

Welcome to Scion IQ Forum : Scion iQ Prices, Tech, MPG and Forums - a website dedicated to all things Scion IQ.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Scion IQ Forum : Scion iQ Prices, Tech, MPG and Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: LED Headlight Upgrade?

LED Headlight Upgrade?

I'm looking to upgrade the H11 headlight bulb to LED bulbs, however, the bulbs I've seen online seem to be too big and stick out of the housing so that I cannot put the cover back on. I did pick up a set of H11 LED bulbs without the fans but these are soooo dim I may as well stick with the halogen bulbs.

I couldn't seem to find anything on the forum either besides upgrading the bulbs to HID's, which I am not interested in.

Any ideas or what exactly have you folks done to increase light output?

Appreciate any info everyone may have.

Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    IQ-Forums.com
    Advertisements

LED Headlight Upgrade?

H9 bulb modified fit:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...=1#post5131799

See post #2 if thread is unclear. I had to modify one bulb base mounting tab and then both sides I Dremmeled the center of the connector until it fit the H9 bulb.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
    Last edited by jzchen; 10-19-2020 at 07:54 AM.

Thanks for the post jzchen, much appreciated.

So you went with the newer 9011/12 style modified bulbs which have a higher lumen output, but still no LED correct?

EDIT: And the h9 bulb was a direct replacement and did not require any modifications yes?
    Last edited by bokch0y; 10-23-2020 at 11:02 PM.

5. Remove Advertisements
    IQ-Forums.com
    Advertisements

I only changed the low beam because we don’t use high beam much here in the city. I went with H9 bulb Philips as advised. They are quite cheap from Amazon (ship and sold by Amazon). I then tried to aim them as best as possible. Very happy with the brightness it is a significant upgrade.

The problem with LED is they aren’t able to mimic the incandescent filament properly. If you do find them bright you are likely blinding oncoming traffic. I trust those moderators over there they really know what is best. They will not tolerate anything unsafe...

No, both sides I used a Dremel cutting disc to cut the center of the connector. You can also use a scissors or knife to cut the little tab on the bulb, but each time you replace you’d need to do that with the new bulb. The bulb fit without modification in the lamp socket on the passenger side, but the driver side I used a metal snip and cut a tiny bit off one of the mounting tabs.

Great info, I'll look at the h9's here in Canada then.

Adjustment wise, why did you have to adjust them if they are drop in? Is the filament off a little or something like that?

Thanks for all your info btw, appreciate the help and friendliness.

No, the filament is in the same spot. But since the output is significantly brighter you want to be sure the aim is proper, or you will blind others. I bought mine used in 2017 and found it somewhat dim driving it 400 mi home from Sacramento, aim was off. They say even new from factory the headlights can be off. They also say to use an aiming machine but I could not find anyone around that would do it. (VW has them in service but they won't do other vehicle brands, at least not the local one).

Actually looked into buying an aim machine, but my garage has a step so an aiming machine wouldn't work properly. Needs a flat surface, slope okay, but flat is necessary.

There are a few of us actively posting here. The Facebook groups are more active but I'm not too fond of the way Facebook works.

Glad to be of help. iQ owners are a great crowd. And please share how you feel once you're done.

Yeah fb is not my thing so i've stuck to traditional forums haha.

I noticed the Toyota / Lexus / Scion headlights always seem dimmer than others but that's because they seem to be aimed lower than other manufactures, so usually needs some adjustment to move them up a bit but not enough to blind oncoming drivers.

Yes, you're confirming what they said. Mine had some receipt for front end body work in the little secret compartment under the front passenger seat, so likely wasn't aimed properly by the shop.

Hopefully you can find someone with an aimer. If not you'll find out quickly if you're aimed too high as you'll be able to see clearly into the other cars' windows.

A long Philips head screwdriver works wonders for adjusting aim. There's a little groove that runs down to the adjustment wheel....

Yep I've aimed headlights many times before but not a pro haha. Thanks for the help.

15. Remove Advertisements
    IQ-Forums.com
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)