Regarding The Overhead Dome Light........

1. Welcome to Scion IQ Forum : Scion iQ Prices, Tech, MPG and Forums – General discussion forum for Scion IQ

Welcome to Scion IQ Forum : Scion iQ Prices, Tech, MPG and Forums - a website dedicated to all things Scion IQ.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Scion IQ Forum : Scion iQ Prices, Tech, MPG and Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Regarding The Overhead Dome Light........

Regarding The Overhead Dome Light........

Does anyone know how to remove the overhead dome light on the IQ? I want to be able to install a remote garage door opener up inside the head liner & need to remove the lamp in order to do it. When done, a tiny reset button will be the only thing exposed for controlling the garage door. Being that the dome light is made of plastic, I don't want to chance breaking it Thanks for any input.
    Phrank

2. Remove Advertisements
    IQ-Forums.com
    Advertisements

Just pull down on it from the right side. It is a friction fit. Try to get your hand/nail on the edge and it will come down and to the side just a little bit. There aren't any clips or anything. Just pull.

Someone might know... they might even answer, but so far in my adventures taking apart the IQ... everything just pops off. The door panels were weird to figure out because they hid a screw behind the handle and you have to be creative in popping off that plate.

5. Remove Advertisements
    IQ-Forums.com
    Advertisements

Thanks much, for the reply. I wasn't sure as to whether or not there were any clips involved............

There is a sheet metal frame for it spot-welded to the forward roof rail. But the part itself just has one big tab on the driver's side. The passenger side is just press fit into the hole in the metal roof frame.
    Regarding The Overhead Dome Light........-imag0459.jpg
    Regarding The Overhead Dome Light........-imag0492.jpg

I just wired my LED up to the dome light...and the solid black is the hot wire, and there are 2 white wires (white/black stripe and solid white) these are the ground wires, I tapped into the solid white for the door light.
    2012 Hot Lava iQ

EXACTLY how it is. That's the same way I wired my auto dimming mirror. With the exception of the ignition/on wire; that was also attached to the constant hot ( black ).

Quote Originally Posted by donnyray View Post
    EXACTLY how it is. That's the same way I wired my auto dimming mirror. With the exception of the ignition/on wire; that was also attached to the constant hot ( black ).
    Cool! Yeah, I left my LED's to only come on when I open the door, they are too brite to run while driving, and I didnt connect a toggle switch to them yet...might later when I put the LED's under the dashboard though.
    2012 Hot Lava iQ

Hi everyone,
    i have spent a bit of time trawling through all the discussion posts on
    this topic.  The interior light has been the most irritating aspect of
    what actually is, a great car!
    I´m not an electrician but i have found a solution to massively
    increase the amount of light by upgrading the existing dome module.
    All you need is basic competence and a few basic tools (flathead
    screwdriver, soldering iron, plyers, an easily available cheap LED
    module off ebay) and about an hour or two of your time to do the work.
    The result is a new LED fitted within the existing dome housing (with
    only slight modification) that does not blind you and lights up the
    cabin across both seats, the dash area and as high as both door handles.
    So far it has been running fine in my 2009 IQ for the past 6 weeks.  The new LED even dims up and down when in operation.
    I have attached a photo of the finished dome.
    I have put together a 12 page PDF with 12 steps to follow including detailed photos of each step for 15 euro
    (www).paste.pics/b13dfd1ee712ad9129f179637ea6e1ff
    marcusy1(@)hotmail.com
    Last edited by Markus; 11-07-2019 at 02:34 AM.

If I want to add an additional domelight toward the rear or center of the headliner, is there any reason I can't run the cable straight back from the dome light toward the center or rear of the headliner?

All the tutorials I have seen so far discuss removing the driver door gasket and feeding a cable from the dome, to the side of the headliner and then back along the side, then removing the trunk gasket and feeding it to the rear or center of the headliner.

Why can't I just go straight back from the dome light hole, down the middle of the headliner and put a dome light right there at the centerpoint without dealing with the door gaskets? Is there framing or other components that prevent this?

Alternatively, has anyone in America just replaced the OEM dome light with an aftermarket round 12v led light that is much brighter? It looks like a 5" round light would cover the factory hole.

13. Remove Advertisements
    IQ-Forums.com
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)