Spare tire solution for the iQ
NEWS

1. Welcome to Scion IQ Forum : Scion iQ Prices, Tech, MPG and Forums General discussion forum for Scion IQ

Welcome to Scion IQ Forum : Scion iQ Prices, Tech, MPG and Forums - a website dedicated to all things Scion IQ.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Scion IQ Forum : Scion iQ Prices, Tech, MPG and Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Spare tire solution for the iQ

Spare tire solution for the iQ

Has anyone come up with a quality method of carrying a spare tire with their iQ? Unlike most young moderns, we old fogies have yet to accept driving around without a spare tire and wheel on board.

On our 2009 smart Passion, one of the first "add ons" that we pursued was a way of mounting a spare. With the smart's limited interior room, I opted for a "Continental kit" approach. We purchased and installed a Kurt trailer hitch, then obtained a post mount that held the spare behind the rear bumper and below the license plate.

Unfortunately, with the iQ, that simple solution won't work. The plate location on the Toyota/Scion product is lower than on the smart - mount the tire in the "Continental kit" location and it will obstruct the number plate.

While one solution to this dilemma would be to mount the tire up on the rear hatch, that would involve a lot of cutting and attaching to the hatch, as well as procuring lift cylinders with more "oomph" than the stock items. So, I see that route as a no go.

An alternate solution to the problem would be a trailer hitch mount with a "D" shaped member attached to the post inserted into the hitch receiver. The curved portion of the "D" would face upward and would surround the plate location, thus leaving it mounted on the car and still visible to the rear.

Welded to the top of the "D" shaped member would be an inverted "V", to the upper tip of which would be welded (at about a 10 from the vertical) would be a circular plate with the four studs, onto which would be bolted the spare tire and rim.

True, it would involve some bending of heavy gauge metal tubing (for the "D" shaped member) and careful welding (to fabricate the whole, including the inverted "V", attachment of the "D" to the post inserted into the mount, and to seam it all together, including some extra bracing here and there.

My question, finally, is "Has anyone among the iQ​ owning public attempted anything along such lines?" Inquiring minds want to know before they start running tubing through the roll former...

2. Remove Advertisements
    IQ-Forums.com
    Advertisements

I like the trailer hitch idea but with the plate on the spare....Just a thought ?

Spare tire solution for the iQ-spare-light.jpgSpare tire solution for the iQ-spare.jpg

I'm trying to procure a full size spare (with canvas cover) just for use during road trips. I'll just fold the back seats down and throw it in there when travelling. Around town it's less of an issue.
    January 2012 Blizzard Pearl

I don't want to have to shift the plate every time that I put the spare on and take it off. It's much simpler to design around the current location, although it will take a bit more welding to put it all together.

I ran up a rough three view drawing on it last night, but have yet to put dimensions to the various parts. All in good time, all in good time.

Here's a photo of the current mount:

Spare tire solution for the iQ-img0461ri.jpg

It works with the smart, but is completely wrong for the Scion.

Gokartride, I did the same thing you did, I bought a matching mag wheel from eBay and a matching tire from tire rack on line. It just fits in back with the seats down, I carry it most of the time unless I need the space for groceries or some such thing.
    (Reading your post again I see that you haven't purchased it yet) I really think it's the simple way to go.
    Last edited by Jerry's iq; 02-11-2013 at 01:07 PM.

One more thing, when carrying the wheel in back I put it face down this enables me to use the concave part in the back of the wheel to carry loose stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry's iq View Post
    Gokartride, I did the same thing you did, I bought a matching mag wheel from eBay and a matching tire from tire rack on line. It just fits in back with the seats down, I carry it most of the time unless I need the space for groceries or some such thing.
    (Reading your post again I see that you haven't purchased it yet) I really think it's the simple way to go.
    Exactly what I did and still do....I bought an extra matching mag wheel and tire, nice vinyl wheel
    cover, and small sissor jack from Harbor Frieght. The only thing my spare is missing is the TPMS
    sensor. If I'm going out of town, I put in the back with the seats down, the vinyl cover keeps
    everything clean.Why use the fix-it kit if it ruins your TPMS sensor?
    My PHOTO-BUCKET link with all my pictures: http://s234.photobucket.com/user/mis...?sort=6&page=1

Good thoughts on the spare tire dilemma; here's another. My full-size spare and wheel (in a vinyl cover) rides vertically in the footspace between the front passenger seatback and the unused and folded right rear seat, with ample legroom for front seat passenger (similar to vertical spare tire stowage cubby behind passenger seatback on my previous Fiat X1/9's). No significant intrusion into storage space behind the front seats. Jack and lug wrench store below the rear storage box. When I (rarely) carry a third person, spare tire straps down flat on folded left rear seatback with room to use right rear seat. Otherwise, if you get a flat, hope the repair kit works. If not, and if the roadside service truck can't repair your tire, and doesn't have a replacement tire and mounting equipment or a spare wheel, you'll need a tow. Time and money lost.
    '

10. Remove Advertisements
    IQ-Forums.com
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.