Watch your tires
NEWS

1. Welcome to Scion IQ Forum : Scion iQ Prices, Tech, MPG and Forums General discussion forum for Scion IQ

Welcome to Scion IQ Forum : Scion iQ Prices, Tech, MPG and Forums - a website dedicated to all things Scion IQ.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Scion IQ Forum : Scion iQ Prices, Tech, MPG and Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Watch your tires

Watch your tires

I got to use my TPMS system tonight. Was coming home when I ran over something on the road that went right thru the sidewall of the tire and blew it out. I drove it home on what was left of the tire, but I had to call scion roadside service and have them tow it to Muncie to get a new tire put on tomorrow. Man, talk about a bummer for a car that is only one month old. Only got 2k miles out of that tire too. Just an unfriendly feeling.

2. Remove Advertisements
    IQ-Forums.com
    Advertisements

if it makes you feel any better the old man's IQ was in the shop for two weeks the day after we got it....id say he gave it like 20 miles be4 some lady "didn't see him" and the right side of the car was scrapped up

Eep! This is one of my biggest fears - having no spare tire. I run my iQ 70 miles a day on rural roads and through a state park. As soon as I get some money together, I want to put run-flat tires on it (probably with new rims - 17 inch Enkei Performance GW8)?. Anyone have any input?

Oh - and I've had a LOT of people cutting me off and pulling out in front of me. So I can relate the the "didn't see him" comment. People are crazy. And distracted.

TPMS has saved me from getting stuck with a flat tire many, many times over the years. It's the catastropic failure far away from civilization that would worry me. I am seldom in that situation, but for the few times I am I'm getting a spare tire together.
    January 2012 Blizzard Pearl

I want a set of these for my IQ. Stock tire size is ok. I have these on my minivan, and they are very nice in the winter.Dunlop*SP Winter Sport 3D DSST RunOnFlat

Dunlop*SP Winter Sport 3D DSST RunOnFlat

Not sure why the link is borked. But you can look these up on tirerack. They are $130/tire though. If they lasted 30k miles, then it wouldn't be too bad. They are kind of noisy, but not too bad.

How about this run flat?
    Dunlop SP Sport 01 DSST Run Flat

195/55R-16

Ratings, reviews and specifications for Dunlop SP Sport 01 DSST Run Flat tires

The reviews run from great to garbage but will it fit? Price is not too bad at $188 less $80 rebate?
    Anybody here with any experience with this tire?
    Vince
    2012 Scion IQ
    2005 Ford F350
    2001 Kawasaki W650

Quote Originally Posted by scarter4work View Post
    Dunlop*SP Winter Sport 3D DSST RunOnFlat

Not sure why the link is borked. But you can look these up on tirerack. They are $130/tire though. If they lasted 30k miles, then it wouldn't be too bad. They are kind of noisy, but not too bad.
    As the stock Goodyear tires that came with mine are high MPG tires, I can't help but wonder how going to a different tire will effect mileage.
    What I did is that I kept my original steel rims and have one set asside for this very purpose - longer trips than just around town.
    Purchased: 14 February 2012
    6567 miles
    50+ MPG (around town)

Scoin alloy wheels mud flaps
    Flashing 3rd stop light module Rear anti sway bar
    Rear anti sway bar Heavy front sway bar bushings
    Navigation / DVD system Heavy front sway bar bushings Rear speaker system
    Heavy front sway bar bushings Passenger seat tray Removal of rear seat

I personally don't worry about weight, but I would think that Run Flat tires are heavier than stock tires. Just throwing it out for whom it might be a consideration.

I'm sure the run flats would be heavier. The ones I was talking about are good for winter driving and are good enough for driving in the dry and rain. I've never had any problem with them on my minivan. Everyone else up here in Indy thinks the IQ is going to get swallowed by a snowdrift this winter, but I'm not really too sure about that. They do a fair job of plowing the roads around here. Now the driveway, that is a different story. The studless winter tires are more of a help when you get alot of ice from compacted plowed roads. Regular all seasons aren't very good about that. My old subaru had continental DWS's on it, those didn't fly too well in the winter. I expect about the same from the goodyear assurances.

12. Remove Advertisements
    IQ-Forums.com
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.