Scion IQ Forums banner

Anyone ever get pulled over/ticketed for 20% tint?

4K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  Cliffjumper 
#1 ·
So, got my tint done today and for some reason the gap between 25% (Legal max in WA) and 20% seemed huge. 20% just looked better so I decided to go for it.

Now i'm all worried that someone may, perhaps, see me rollin...and mayhaps they would be hatin, or just patrollin, trying to catch me ridin dirty.

I know some of you guys have darker tints than Johnny Law may care for. Have you ever been busted for it?

#2 ·
The darkest you can legally go in Missouri on your front windows is about 35% and I have 20. I've been pulled over a couple times for other things and they've never said anything about my tint. I think it just comes down to how observant the officer is when it comes to window tint and how much they care about it being too dark. I was pulled over fairly often when I lived in Phoenix and had my windows at 10% all the way around, but once they found out I was military they let me go with a warning.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

#3 ·
Here in Cali any tint added to a vehicle window is illegal. The cops used to pull people over quite often for tint. Now it's not that big a thing to them. A lot of the time they will use the tint as a reason to pull you over and check you out if they have reason to believe you are doing something wrong. I have 20% on my side windows and 5% on my rear, so far I've not been stopped even when driving next to cops.

Worst case, you can remove the tint, get the ticket written off and apply the tint again.

#6 · (Edited)
Used to love dark tint, until I got to be a 60+ year old geezer, then my eyes started
going south on me. I put dark tint on my wifes car back in 2008, now I hate to drive
in at night....between the inherent blind spots on a Nissan Rogue and the dark tint, and
my weaker eyes, I hate driving it at night now. I will not be tinting my iQ, thats for
sure....

#9 ·
Have any cop friends? Most states its considered a "fix-it" ticket.. meaning you show proof that its been fixed and no fine is charged. have your friend sign off on it. With this though, you take full responsibility in saying that you removed it and then replaced it.

have bad eyes? go to your eye dr and see if he can get you a perscription for window tint. its not so much of a perscription as it is a dr's note to show the officer that you have a medical condition that requires dark tint.

#12 ·
LOL wish I'd thought of that. I did some other vinyl work at the same time so the car looks very different now besides the tint. Ah well.

Where you at in western wa? I'm out in the Parkland/Spanaway area.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.